Sunday, July 28, 2013

The hottest summer of the year

A few days ago, an Italian in the dorm posted a news piece on my Facebook wall saying the hottest summer in decades was almost upon us. I didn't read it. I was busy and tired, and besides, everyone knows Italy is hot. 40 degrees Celsius means very little to me (more than it did a few years ago, but still...). It would soon be even hotter. But how to distinguish when you're living in a dorm with no air conditioning that is already an oven?

Well, I am now a refugee. A refugee from the heat. I don't want to go outside. Ever. Yesterday, we went to the beach, and it helped a bit, but ultimately just lead to more cold showers when we got back. The beach at Pesaro is very lovely, but I was once again disappointed in the commercial aspect of Italian beaches. If you haven't been to one or seen it in a movie, it looks like identical rows of chairs and umbrellas (beach ombrellas, or ombrelloni) that you pay to use. Convenient, sure. But unique? Apparently not. The difference between the beach at Rimini and the beach at Pesaro was that the one at Rimini had more hotels behind it, and no mountain in the distance. Aside from that, not particularly exciting. The water was warm, so not much of an escape from this intense heat, and Gabriella got the sunburn of her life. I've had worse, but it's still quite bad. The others decided to go to Fano, another beach that is apparently prettier but farther away. Honestly, I don't understand what could make an Italian beach prettier. Are there fewer chairs? 

The heat is so intense, I think the giant bees have died. I am no longer afraid to leave my window open on the off chance a stupid bee will get trapped in my room, because I haven't seen one in ages. But unfortunately, it is hotter than ever and the rooms just don't seem to want to cool down, not even at night when the temperature becomes even slightly bearable. 

So, I am inside today. Either here at Tridente or at the Caffè degli amici, where there is air conditioning. I am thinking of making the trip back there in an hour or so. The trade: 5 minutes of walking in this heat for an hour of cool and refreshing drinks. Then 5 minutes back. Hmmm...maybe not. In any case, that is the situation here in Urbino. 

Yesterday, I played The Carnival of Venice for Luca and a bunch of African priests-in-training who speak French at the Caffè degli amici, and got two free spritzes! And that is all the news I have. So, back to my goals for today: 

1) Do my readings for tomorrow's class

2) Finish my essay for tomorrow's class (just 1 page left, unless I feel the need to write more than 2 pages)

3) Take a cold shower

4) Don't die of heat exhaustion 

5) Eat dinner

6) Avoid the sun as much as possible

7) Try to sleep despite the uncomfortable sticky heat. 

Question: How does anything get done in Italy? How has anything EVER gotten done in Italy? 

No comments:

Post a Comment