Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Italian dorm life

Last night, I couldn't sleep. At first, it was because there were students setting off firecrackers directly inside my window. That was a bit annoying. I felt like I was in front of a firing squad. Then, it was because the mattress was unbearably uncomfortable. I barely got any sleep last night, but was still able to talk more than anyone else in class. Though, the professor is a lecturing type, which is fine because I enjoy that type of class; but also a bit disappointing, since I want to be speaking as much as possible to improve. Tonight, I've flipped the mattress over, and just sitting on it, I can feel a huge difference. I don't think I'll have much of a problem. 

The Urbino dorm was apparently designed by a famous architect. I don't know his name, but he must be an Italian Frank Lloyd Wright, since the way he designed this "collegio" to fit into the countryside is brilliant. The part I'm living in is called "tridente" and, no surprise, is shaped like a trident. Three prongs, each descending down the mountainside. The reason I have such a great view is because it's designed that way. Everyone has a great view! The room itself is pretty standard as far as dorms go, but it does have a very clever system of moveable shelves. The door handles don't turn, if you want another fun fact. They have a little button on top that allows you to open and close them. A student's space here consists of the bedroom, a cabinet in the bathroom, a cabinet in the kitchen, and just another cabinet outside the room for more clothes. I don't have enough clothes here in Europe with me to make use of all the space they've given me, which is definitely impressive. But there is one very impractical aspect to this room: the view is very distracting. 

The location of my room according to Google maps. 

This was what I saw from my window tonight when I sat down to do my reading for tomorrow's class. As you can imagine, it was hard to concentrate with that intense beauty in front of me, so I headed over to Gabriella's room (she's a Tulane student who's in my literature course) and the two of us went to work at the Caffè degli amici where we have breakfast every morning. 

My first Italian prof, Sara (from Venezia *insert rowing motion here*), told me that the best part of the whole program was this Caffè and Davide and Luca, the two men who run it. Well, this morning, I realized why. They are the two friendliest, nicest, and most helpful people I have ever seen. We order in Italian, they chat with us while making the coffee, and they already know me by name. Luca stole my hat, and when I called him out on it, he was like "boh!" So, I informed him it was a French hat, and he gave it back immediately. Tonight, I asked Davide if it was too late to order a spritz (an Italian cocktail), and he said it's never too late, and that I'm his new favorite person because I like spritzes! 

I got back to the dorm and there were tons of parties going on. The Italian students are leaving soon (on the 12th...), and they're constantly celebrating birthdays and completed exams apparently. They gave me gelato instead of letting me go to bed, and I was fine with that because they were all extremely happy speaking Italian with me! They all say they don't speak English, not even the ones who say they're studying English, which is a bit silly. They're all extremely impressed that I speak three languages, which is a bit strange for me, since I'm used to being the one impressed by Europeans' language skills. They are all so friendly, so quick to compliment your Italian no matter what level you're at, helpful if you don't know a word, and they NEVER switch to English or act snobby like French people. They also are apparently jokesters—when someone gets their "laurea" or undergraduate degree, they make them walk through Urbino with the "laurea" (laurels) on their head. Then they push them into the fountain (for which they don't get fined, because it's a special occasion—if they weren't wearing the laurea, apparently they'd get fined). When someone gets a dottorato, they have to do various other silly things. Today, we saw a newly awarded PhD student who had to wear a box on her head that was designed to look like a TV, and then recite something for a table, who then sang her a song. Then, apparently, they were going to head to the fountain and push her in.

After I left the party, I took my first shower in the dorm, and it was NOT as bad as people said. Actually, it might be the best dorm shower I've ever seen. Acceptably clean, there's a place to put your toiletries, a chair in the locked portion with the shower where you can put your keys/clothes, and the door didn't get stuck like they said some do. The water heat/pressure was excellent, the students were all out on the patio eating gelato, so I had the whole bathroom to myself. All in all, I'd say between the view and the amazing company (the Italian students...the American ones all went out to party together, and are probably still out speaking English right now), this dorm experience is ideal for studying abroad for such a short time in Italy! 

And for some pictures: 

A "laurea" procession. The person with the laurea is behind the guy in the blue shirt. Sorry...I didn't want to be rude and act like a tourist to get the good picture. 

My class is in a high school, and there's an actual crucifix on the wall! 

Creepy clock store in Urbino. 

The basilica



One entrance to the ducal palace 

Just a pretty church

Okay, I'm going to bed since I have to wake up at 7:30 again. Hopefully tonight I'll sleep better now that I've "fixed" the mattress. 








No comments:

Post a Comment